Friday, July 11, 2008

Venezia, Napoli. Pompei

Yes! Oh yes! I start by summarizing what I did today and you have to be so jealous of me:

I went to Pompei, I listened to Pink Floyd at the exact same spot where they were playing 37 years ago, then came back to Napoli and ate the best margarita ever.

I thin I dont have to say more. I mean this is enough. The pleasure I had today will be enough for me for the next decade or so. Mehmet, sorry, I wish you were there with me to, it was such a moving experience I cannot describe. But dont worry we'll put you in the photo using Photoshop. I'll talk about it more but let me tell you what happened since the last time I wrote.

Venezia
Well, it was a weird trip there. I got the night train, but since I m so lacking in funds; I didnt book a bed. (I have to pay around 20-30 euros as a supplement even though I have the global pass for the couchettes and those stuff) So, my hostel for the night was a small cabin for 6 people, 3-3 facing each other. So practically, the guy in front of you out his feet in your mouth and you put yours on top of your head. But for the first time I got lucjy and the guy in front of my seat did not show up. So I extended the both seats and had a little, cozy and uncomfortable as hell bed. I arrivedat Venezia early morning and slept for the first time in this trip in the tain station. It was cool though, Venezia is quite safe and the station was full of backpackers ike so no problem. Then I walked accross the city all day long. Wow, what a city. It s almost as beautiful as Hamburg. Ehee. But really, everyone should go and see the place. Every fucking corner is like an art piece, I m totally amazed. But a downside is, there a alot of Italian dudes with fancy sunglasses, belts hanging around, some accesories hanging... But tourists outnumber them so it s not as bad as Milano I suppose. We have to ask Michele for conformation :)

After walking 11 hours and seeing every inch of the city I caught my next night train to Napoli. Again booked a cabin, and again I went lucky that the guy in front of me did nt show up. The 2 backpacking couples were really jealous of me that I got to have some sort of a bed.

Naaapoli

What a chaos! Crazy town. Now I see why Michele is like that. Here are some notes_
- The traffic reminded me of Turkey. Althou this is worse. These mopeds are everywhere including the sidewalks. I almost got overrun twice. But I remembered my Turkish roots quickly and I ve been more than ok since then.
- There is no trash problem anymore. The mafia and Michele's uncle solved the problems it seems. But streets are really dirty, I must add.
- Everyone was talking and writing about how dangerous Napoli is but I must say it s not. After IStanbul and other cities in Turkey, it wasnt too though for me. But I cant be sure how safe a girl or a Scandinavian guy would feel in alleys at night. Watch out from the pickpocketers by the way if you ever make your way to Napoli. I saw 2 attempted pickpockets but the Italian ladies in both cases replied with a 1313 db vaffanculo and the guy ran away.
- There are more black guys ion the streets than Harlem.
- Everywhere is full of "bars" that sell snacks and stuff and I tried many rthings and liked most of them. Dont ask the names; cause I dont remember.
- Then... Da Michele... Oh my god. The simplest pizza: tomato, mozzarella the green stuff I forgot the english name (bir adet nane yapragi) and olive oil on the top. I cant still beleive how good that pizza is. The dough itself is unbelivable. The best ever, as the locals also agreed with me. And as a note, I payed 4.5 euros (40-45 SEK, 20 lower than Mossens price) for the best pizza ever. And the pizzeria itself is very small, cozy and old fashioned too. Nothing fancy. But people have to wait 30 45 minutes to get in. I ordered a take away and ate mine sitting on the sidewalks in front of the people waiting to get inside :)
- I also tried marinera and some other one with more ingredients at other placves. They were also awesome but Da Michele's margarita kicks their ass.

Pompei

This place was crazy. I m running out of time so will go over quickly.
- Imagine a 25000 town suddenly getting rid of all organic material. The buildings are incredbily well preserved under the pyroclastic shit.
- It is huge and takes 4 5 hours to go to every corner.
- The arena weher Pink Floyd played is 25000 big. Not that big but the atmospehere was incredible. I sat down and listened to Floyd for osmre time and an Australian girl was so touched with my emotions she took 10 pictires of me sitting at the exact spot where David Gilmour played 37 years ago!
Time is out.

Now I m in Rome and will report back soon!

4 comments:

basakiper said...

Seems like the curse is not active anymore.
Have fun.

mmk said...

you cried in pompei didn't you?
you don't have to say yes here. send an sms or something to confirm.

by the way i have some news for you. embrace yourself, i got plans!

iyi dileklerim seninle. sana burdan pozitif sinerji yaratip yolluyorum (denedim, oldu, cv'me ekledim)

Levent Tüter / Touter said...

oh boy, seems like you have something to tell your kids now :)

Gajdop said...

Memet abi, ne gibi pilanlarin var? Pilan yapmayin pilan.

Basak lan Levent e de ozel tesekkurlerimi sunarim desteklerinden oturu. Cig gibi buyuyuyor ailemiz.